19 August 2009

안녕하세요!

The title above means "How are you?" in Korean. Perhaps that's the most easily found expression in Korean. And most of the time, Korean teachers teach students how to say this correctly. We'd have to say this by taking a bow as it shows our respect to someone older or strangers we meet.
This blog is about my interest in learning Korean. Started from 2005, I watched one of Korean drama masterpieces; "Full House". And I was instantly hooked! Song Hye Kyo and Jong Ji Hoon (Rain) fascinated me and after that I was diagnosed as a Korean wave patient.
It was a divine coincidence I saw an announcement on my campus, telling the interested students to enrol a Korean course. The next thing I did was clear. Without hesitance, I dashed to the office and enthusiastically pleaded to be a participant.
The class began and a native Korean appeared. Mr. Kang Song Hoon, that was my sonsaengnim's(선생님-teacher in Korean) name. He could hardly speak Indonesian or even English. So it was quite a struggle for us (his students) to communicate with him smoothly. He tried to teach well but failed. Don't know why I simply couldn't do well in class. It might be caused by my campus business at that time and he seemed to be a novice teacher. The frequency of classes was too low and learning foreign languages, as far as I'm concerned, takes regularity. The more frequent we speak the language, the better our proficiency will be. But at that time I had no source of learning, except the textbook from Seoul National University and my dear sonsaengnim's poorly-conveyed explanation. But after all, I still miss Mr. Kang. If you really want to know how he looks like, maybe you can find the Japanese character in "Heroes" American Tv series. There you'll find Hiro (if I'm not mistaken), he simply looks like Kang Song Hoon. Hahaha...

No comments:

Post a Comment

have your say, here!